Thursday, May 22, 2008

I am back down to two dogs.

We recieved a phone call yesterday from a woman who worked at a nearby vet clinic. They had lost their older dog in January and got a puppy. The puppy had died the day before in surgery. Although they weren't trying to replace their puppy, their children and other dog were crushed and lost, and she wondered if we had any prospects. My boss told her about Pippi, and she and her husband agreed to come meet her.
When they arrived, they plopped right down on the concrete, dog hair covered office floor with her (I liked them already). They were delighted to hear that I have four cats that Pippi loves, because they had three. They were delighted to hear that I have a one-year-old...so do they. She was happy to hear that I have a golden retriever...their other dog is a yellow lab. I told them about her, where we're at in training, her personality. Then the woman asked me how she was in the car, because she would like to take her to work with her often, and the puppy hated to get in the car. I told her Pippi came to work with me every day and loved car rides (I think she almost cried). AND the husband was a teacher, so she'd have company all day in a few weeks.
They took pictures of her on their cell phones, told me they would talk it over with each other and their twelve-year-old, and they would give us a call tomorrow. An hour later they called back begging for her.
So today, I said goodbye. And I am a sniveling dying heap on the floor. I will be seeing her again - the woman was very set on not letting her forget us, she'll be bringing her back frequently and she will be bringing her to training classes. And I have talked myself out of the fact that she probably feels like I abandoned her (thanks for the pep talk, P&F girls!).

But ohhh.

EDIT: Oh! Some things about them I forgot to gush about. She has a brand new collar with daises on it (which really looks pretty on her). She has been renamed 'Blanche' after a lake around here - the couple has just gotten a boat and are really hoping that she will like to swim and she will want to go boating with them all.summer.long.

1 comment:

Save_The_Hobbit said...

WHY DID THEY CHANGE HER NAME?!

She's still Pippi to me.