Thursday, December 13, 2007

Sometimes I wake up and cry at night!

Yesterday Mom and I went Christmas shopping for Kristen. Mom was asking me about having another baby. I told her Jason still says, "neva" and I am wanting one. She told me Kristen needed a little brother or sister to grow up with. I was holding up an 18 mo sweatshirt that I thought would be nice for her to wear in the spring. I found matching sweatpants (but DON'T WORRY, they're not the crushed velour kind!). I held them up and pictured her strutting around in them in the next few months.
Mom turned around to see me bawling. Alarmed at this display of emotion, she said, "What is it??" I said, "LEAVE ME ALONE! STOP LAUGHING AT ME!" Mom began to laugh. She said, "Are you SURE you're not pregnant?"
No one understands me. They taste like the camper.
We decided to stop at a Dunkin Donuts for a quick donut and smoothie, because we had to hurry home. Neither of us realized that it was *US* and we'd get lost in our own homes if we got spun around fifteen times or so. After ten minutes of circling the city Mom used to live in and we've driven in nearly every day for our whole lives, we found it. But how to get in the drive thru? Some excerpts from the conversation as we circled the block:
"No, just go around the alley and the entrance will be in the back."
"No, it's a dead end."
"Oh Christ."
"THAT was a stop sign."
"Where?"
"Back there."
*scree*
"All right, turn here."
"How the hell..."
We pull up to the back of the parking lot. There is a painted lane the weaves through all the parking spots that leads to the drive through. I wish I'd had a camera. Maybe I will attempt to find the damn place again so you all can see.
We pull up and roll down the window.
***cchhhkkkkk***WELCOME to Dunkins, can I HELP you?
*frantic whispering* One minute!
*frantic whispering*
*me on my mom's bosom yelling at the loudspeaker* I want a small strawberry smoothie...
***cchhhkkkk***One minute!
*patient waiting*
***cchhhkkkk***HOW can I HELP you?
"I want a small strawberry smoothie""GET off me, make that two!"
"And a peanut butter filled donut with chocolate on top"
*shove*And a blueberry cake donut
"AND SOME HASH BROWNS!"

We pull around to the side of the store. Two giant poles greet us, one on each side of the car. The one on the left says, "Option 1 - Place money into red basket. Shut door. Wait." The one on the right says, "Option 2 - Hand money to cashier through passenger side. Get food through passenger side. Approximately two minutes faster than Option 1."
We decide on Option 2. Cashier opens window, and comes face to face with me wearing one sunglass over one side of my glasses. The magnetic sunglasses had broken and only one lens was on.

About an hour or so later, we were home, and my sister arrived. I was helping her film her autobiography and making helpful comments and helpfully munching chips. Her friend called to tell her she had been accepted at her and Shana's 'college of choice' (yes, that was a Perks quote for both of you). Shana began sharing her concerns about not getting in (grab your sides in advance).
When she was filling out her application, there was a spot by her name that said "Jr. Sr. III IV". She didn't know what it meant, so she circled Sr., because that's what grade she's in. She is now known to her college of choice as Shana ***** Sr. This greatly upsets her. She is thinking about writing them a letter to explain the mistake. She is afraid she won't get in. Sometimes she WAKES UP AT NIGHT AND CRIES because of this.
I was wiping tears out of my eyes. So was her friend on the phone. So was Mom. So was friend's Mom.

2 comments:

Cooking_With_Ginger said...

You are hilarious!

Save_The_Hobbit said...

I should have known you would blog about that. You suck.

Yay, Perks quote! Wouldn't you be worried if you had stupidly told the college you're dying to get in that your name was "Shana Sr."?!

Yes, yes. I'm, glad you, mom, dad, Alison, and Alison's mom all found it hilarious. It upsets me greatly :(