Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Good And The Ugly Of Life

The last Monday of March, my grandmother was admitted to the emergency room. My aunt had called the house, got no answer, and came over to find my gram on the floor. She couldn't get up, and couldn't get out of the chair once they did get her up. She had congestive heart failure, failing kidneys, and several infections. On Tuesday, we were told to decide whether or not we wanted them to resuscitate if she had a stroke overnight, which they expected her to. She did not, thank god.
Wednesday was April 2nd. I hate April 2nd. On April 2nd of 2003, in my senior year of high school, I was awakened to learn that my very favoritest uncle had suddenly died, in front of my father. On April 2nd of last year, right after we brought Kristen home from the hospital, we buried my grandfather. Kristen never got to meet him. I was dreading April 2nd from the moment I learned about my grandmother. We spent all night in the room with her, as she drifted in and out.
I finally climbed into bed around eleven, feeling relieved and a bit silly that I had been so paranoid about the date. The phone rang. My heart fell. It was my mother in law. My heart lifted. She said, "Stacy, please tell Jason that his uncle passed away a few hours ago."

My grandmother has recovered enough to be put into a nursing home. So now all the fun of finances begins. We said goodbye to Jason's uncle on Sunday night. Life is getting back to normal.

Kristen is walking! She was on the edge for weeks. We all knew she could do it, she was just too afraid. On April Fools Day, she just let go and walked across the room. With a "haha, bitches! I could do it all along!" face. Two days later, she pulled herself up to standing in her crib, attempted to applaud herself, and promptly fell back over. She stood back up and immediately threw all her toys out, tried to fall out, ripped her mobile down, ripped all the toys off the mobile, and pulled the curtains off the rod.

Now the fun starts.

No comments: